Author: Dr. Antonio Del Drago
Publisher: Mythic Scribes 2013
Review Source: Review copy provided by author
How do you create characters who are so compelling that they hook readers from the start?
As a professor, writer, and philosopher, Dr. Antonio del Drago has immersed himself in the literary and mythological traditions of the world. His search for answers led him to uncover the common elements behind all great myths and stories.
Applying this knowledge to the writing of characters, he has developed a layered approach to character creation.
In this guide, you will discover:
- The secret to writing multidimensional characters
- How to develop your character’s unconscious motivations
- Four ways in which characters interact with their worlds
- Five formative relationships that shape your character
- Nine mythic archetypes and how to use them
- The difference between proactive and reactive protagonists
- Ways to define a character through dialogue and physicality
The guide also includes a detailed worksheet that walks you through the stages of character development.
This is more than a book on how to write characters. This guide offers a practical, step-by-step approach to character creation that is sure to take your writing to the next level.
When I was approached by Dr. Del Drago to review this book, I was unsure of what I would find. But I decided to give it a chance and I am glad that I did. The Mythic Guide to Characters is a well thought out and interesting book. Using simple every day language, Del Drago introduces theory and process, as well as the various types of characters useful examples and explanations.
Here are some of the things I found helpful:
- Real world examples are taken from work that most people are familiar with, the Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Harry Potter Series, Jurassic Park and The Godfather.
- The theories explained in this book can be used by beginners as well as experienced authors.
- While written with a fantasy writer in mind, The Mythic Guide to Characters can be used to help other authors develop well-rounded and interesting characters.
- The handy character sheet at the end of the book helps you apply all of the principles learned throughout the book.
Please note this is not a step by step guide but is more of a theory book that can be especially helpful for newer authors.
Writing on the Sidewalk